Subject: Re: [boost] How to make tests building faster?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-20 13:56:46

Steven Watanabe wrote:
> AMDG

> For failures, the output of the test is shown.
> As long as you make sure that the test program
> logs all failures, it should be fine.

the problem is that some failures are are unanticipated.
For example, some standard library function might not
be working on some platform. The test just bails.

>> I would think that longer term the approach would be
>> to permit the the tests to run simultaneously on a multi-core
>> system.
>>

> This has been allowed forever with bjam -jXX.

hmmm - then what is the problem? is this not being used? or
is there some other reason it's not being used. Does it
really work with no surprises?

>> Another idea would be to make better usage of pre-compiled
>> headers. These are supported by both gcc and msvc. Again
>> would require non-trivial changes in build/test infrastructure.
>>

> Boost.Build has support for precompiled headers.

hmmm wouldn't this required making the bjam files even more
elaborate than they already are? I'm reluctant to start messing
with things once they start working as I've found Jamfile hard
to understand and debug - especially when they're running
on some test system far removed from me. I know there's no
solution to this - I'm just mentioning that I don't think this is
practical for "the rest of us"

Robert Ramey