Subject: Re: [boost] How to make tests building faster?
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-21 05:06:00

>> Boost.Build has support for precompiled headers.
>
> hmmm wouldn't this required making the bjam files even more
> elaborate than they already are? I'm reluctant to start messing
> with things once they start working as I've found Jamfile hard
> to understand and debug - especially when they're running
> on some test system far removed from me. I know there's no
> solution to this - I'm just mentioning that I don't think this is
> practical for "the rest of us"

Robert adding PCH support to your build script really isn't that hard:

* Create your pch header file.
* Add a "cpp-pch" target to the Jamfile:

cpp-pch my_target_name : my_pch_header.hpp ;

* Add "my_target_name" as a source dependency of all the tests that use it.
* Add my_pch_header.hpp as the first include in all the tests that use it.

And that's it, job done. Just feel the speed ;-)

HTH, John.