Subject: Re: [boost] boost and google search
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-20 15:20:46

On 19 December 2011 05:32, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I've just put in the change for #1 that I mentioned (the redirect codes).

It was using 302, which as far as I know is the right code to use.
Google certainly did the right thing ('boost 1.48' was appearing for
release urls pretty soon).

> I'll see about crawling the old docs soon.

I don't think it's a good idea to block them. It can be useful to
search for old documentation and often if you block google's bot it
will still return links to those pages based on the pages which link
to them (it did this for the documentation when it was blocked
before).

The correct thing to do is to structure the site so that it directs
google (and users) to the more useful pages. I've been working on
this, and although no one seems to have noticed, the current search
results are a lot better than they used to be. From the beginning of
this thread:

On 23 November 2011 15:34, Edward Rankin <erankin_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> For example
> I just searched for boost,foreach and a documentation from 1.35 was the
> first hit. It would be great if there is a way to tell google to update
> their links to the latest version.

If you search for it now, 1.48 comes first (at least it does for me).