Subject: Re: [boost] Comparison of serialization results
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-29 11:38:58

Dave Abrahams wrote:
> on Thu Dec 29 2011, Neal Becker <ndbecker2-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dave Abrahams wrote:

>>> You're the boss.
>>>

>> I'd like to offer a decenting opinion. The use of this is where you
>> need to add serialization to some existing code which you are not
>> free to modify. I would find this very useful.
>
> Me too, potentially... but as Robert points out you can always
> implement the technique yourself. In fact, maybe it should be a
> separate Boost library.

Exactly. That would be the right way to go about it. Note
that the serialization library has a number of "sublibraries"
which I needed at the time but weren't available - some of
them are now. Testing, documentation, usage, is independent
of the main library itself. Actually I believe that boost has
a large number of such components. I sometimes find them
and cut them out into a separate module for inclusion in my
own code to solve some problem.

Robert Ramey