Subject: Re: [boost] On the lack of manpower: (Apache stdcxx)
From: Jim Bell (Jim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-06 14:08:28

On 1:59 PM, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 09:43, Jim Bell<Jim_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> From Apache's C++ Standard Library project
>> <http://stdcxx.apache.org/status/2011-02.txt>:
>>
>> ... Several submitted
>> patches, others have offered help with the project build and test
>> infrastructure. Unfortunately, since no committer is available to
>> review patches and guide the contributors through the ASF process
>> to enable them to gain commit privileges there seems to be little
>> hope of reviving stdcxx.
> Wake-up call for the ASF.
>
> I have about 80+ patches for stdcxx (based on 4.2.1) which I wanted to
> submit to the project and which fix a not insignificant number of
> important bugs. I was willing to help with the integration of these
> patches into a new release, and with testing, having already tested
> Solaris and Linux, since it's my job anyway. Essentially, these
> patches would make stdcxx equal to the implementation available with
> the current Sun Studio C++ compilers and Solaris 10 and 11.

> But the ASF process bureaucracy around submitting the simplest patch
> makes it next-to impossible.
>
> It's really regrettable because stdcxx is a very nice implementation of C++2003.

Quite a shame: contributors seem to have wandered off in frustration.
(That happens here, too.)

stdcxx is an important project. Beyond being a cross-platform reference
implementation with an amicable license, it gives you a complete set of
Standard C++ Library documentation you can browse from your local disk
-- very valuable.