Subject: Re: [boost] [local] name (was Re: "protected" APIs)
From: lcaminiti (lorcaminiti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-21 11:05:33

Dave Abrahams wrote

> on Mon Jan 16 2012, Lorenzo Caminiti <lorcaminiti-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 6:06 AM, Thomas Klimpel
>> &lt;Thomas.Klimpel@&gt; wrote:

>>> +1
>>
>> As I said before, I'm equally happy with Boost.LocalFunction and
>> Boost.Closure. I'm checking with my review manager about going back
>> from Closure to LocalFunction given that a few people have now
>> expressed such a preference. I'll keep everyone posted :)
>
> Given that C++ is not, and will never be, a language where everything is
> GC'd, I think the name "Closure" is not too much of a stretch.

I'm happy to inform that I confirmed with my review manager that everyone
considers Boost.LocalFunction an acceptable name so I'm going back from
Boost.Closure to Boost.LocalFunction.

> I'd like to know what features people think a "real" closure library
> should have in C++. If that set of features is actually implementable,
> maybe it makes sense to reserve the name. Otherwise, I'm not so sure.

I still would like to second this request (regardless of the library name, I
might be able to make local functions support the features if we have such a
list, for now C++11 lambda closure definition has been my benchmark). In
other words, reiterating a question I asked before in this thread (but got
no answer to):

lcaminiti wrote

> Thomas Heller-7 wrote
>>
>> On 01/02/2012 10:25 AM, Lorenzo Caminiti wrote:
>>

>>> I really don't like that name is at implies functional programming
>>> capabilities.
>>>

>> For example, I programmed all the examples from the link* above using my
>> library. Is there an example of what you'd expect to do with a C++
>> closure that cannot instead be programmed with my library?

(*) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closure_(computer_science)

Thanks a lot,
--Lorenzo