Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Brian Schrom (brian.schrom_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-08 12:19:01

On 02/08/2012 08:57 AM, Thomas Heller wrote:
> P.S: I find it way harder to properly maintain a couple of git branches
> and forks than doing my stuff with svn. The git userinterface is just a
> pain, i regularly get confused and have no idea what to do.

When I first started using git, from being very comfortable with svn, it
was very frustrating for me. The things that got me past the
frustration and onto reasonable work flows were gitk, git gui, and git
stash.

gitk is a GUI that shows the branches, commits, etc
git gui shows working copy/branch things, commits. Amending last commit
and cherry picking are a great features built into gui.
git stash is a stack of patches

I started using git via git-svn which complicates things because of the
necessity to commit back to svn properly.

git fetch
git svn rebase
git stash

are essential commands to know about to work with git-svn

The upshot is, the initial learning curve, especially if coming from a
cvs/svn background, is nonzero. One of my favorite quotes is that
"learning to use c++/Unix/(now Git)" is hard, but using c++/Unix/git is
easy." My opinion, the time investment in all of these tools will repay
you 100 fold.