Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-08 12:29:21

> > Also, I notice a few other things that in my opinion could be done
> > better to facilitate adoption of the iostreams library. I would be
> > willing to do the work and I would in the perfect position as I am
> > walking in the shoes of an adopter right now - but these are separate
> > from the typo fixes and they are larger issues; considering I can't
> > check my changes in, would I really want to have them sit on my local
> > harddrive, waiting possibly for months for someone upstream to review
> > and hopefully merge them ?
>
> So with git you pushed them to your personal fork. Over time, your fork
> and the upstream version eventually diverge. You have to maintain your
> changes. Same thing when the changes lurk on your local svn working.

well, your svn working copy is just a bunch of files, while git's personal
branches are part of the repository ... you can merge, rebase, stash, etc ...
with svn your working copy gets easily out of sync ...
the nice thing of git is that it does not really harm if your branch diverges
from upstream, as its merge facilities are much more sophisticated than
everything that subversion has to offer ...

frankly, since i moved my code into boost's svn, i find it way more fragile to
maintain than before

tim