Subject: Re: [boost] [optional] generates unnessesary code for trivial types
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-10 12:54:07

On 10 February 2012 05:16, Hite, Christopher
<Christopher.Hite_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> b) creating special cases (e.g. for T&) creates special problems in generic code
> My point exactly.  I'd make it work for completeness but not bother to optimize.

While my main concern is the interface, here are the reasons I'd like
to see it optimized:

1. If the implementation needs to special case references anyway.
2. The optimization is really easy; it probably takes less time to
implement and test it than any one of us has spent writing any of the
emails in this chain to discuss it.
3. The question on this particular optimization shows up on the Boost
mailing lists like clockwork. The only thing that will stop it is by
implementing the optimization, and that in itself is doing Boost
community at large a great service.

--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]>  (847) 691-1404