Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-10 13:18:18

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Thomas Heller
<thom.heller_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Well, i still like to believe that one of boost's strengths is the large
> platform support.
> This is also the reason why I believe that a branching model is not a
> good solution for boost. Here is why:
>
> When i develop a new feature i do that on trunk, whenever i feel
> confident that the feature works as i expected it, i commit it. After a
> couple of days the test cycled, and i see on which platforms these tests
> fail and i try to fix it. This is where I have problems with this whole
> branching model, when will my features i pushed to a branch be tested? I
> actually believe that despite the possible ease of development and
> contribution such a model actually leads to a unstable main branch or
> trunk.
> I think testing should be a concern, and i would rather like to see a
> discussion about test improvements than VCS. However, if a different VCS
> means easier testing (for the test runners), I am all for it. I am
> curios to hear more about that!

Well that reminds me of a post expressing a similar thought about branching
models vs. testing <
http://altdevblogaday.com/2012/02/09/branching-strategy-is-not-a-remedy-for-instability/>.
What I take from it in the context of Boost.. Is that Boost is stable
because we have a rather simple and testing-centric non-branching model.

Rene.

-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything