Subject: [boost] RES: Boost.Application (Pre Alpha) Release 2 available
From: Renato Tegon Forti (re.tf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-13 06:14:34

Hi Christof,

>> I have only read the tutorial and some of the source. I have not tried to
install it now, but this looks great to me.

Your comments were very important and help a lot! Thanks!

>> Just one minor thing: do I understand it correctly, that app.status()

The "app.status()" only return the status of app, not run app.

The way the application is started, depends on the platform and the type of
application.
For example: if we have a windows server, who will start the application
will be the SCM, that’s block main thread and calls "service_main_entry".

If you try run windows server (service) in console, the "app.status()" will
return: 1063 (this is only a status code)
"The service process could not connect to the service controller"

>> A convenience extension could be to have a standard main()
implementation:

Nice, I will add this!

>> Also for the future I'd like to think about more sophisticated
application
types, like e.g. web applications with various APIs, e.g. CGI, FastCGI,
apache
Module, IIS Module, etc. Do you think, that your solution would be
extensible
enough for something like that?

Yes! I think so, for next version (3) I'm thinking of just that.
On how to make it better prepared to be extensible! On both sides:
"Application Engine" and "Application Installation and configuration"
For the next version, I have to solve the " wide string " problem too!

For these specific cases (CGI, FastCGI, apache Module, IIS Module and so
on), we can have:

cgi_application,
apache_module_application,
fast_cgi_application,
iis_application,
... FUTURE

If someone (that’s know one of these APIS or other) wants to join the
project and contribute with it, it would be great!

And I have plan to (in future) develop a "service model" using
Boost.Extension (for sample) to provide dynamically late bind extension
(Plug-in System).

Thanks to all!