Subject: Re: [boost] [Format] Making a change
From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-14 00:04:52

> Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 03:16:12 -0600
> From: mpbecey7gu_at_[hidden]
>
> I'd like to make a change to the Boost Format library, to add a conversion operator to the
> matching string class.
> It appears to have not been worked on in a number of years.
> Reading through the web site, I find details on how to submit new libraries, and how to
> edit the web page, but nothing on submitting updates to existing libraries.
>
> How would I go about doing that, for this library in particular?

Wasn't there recently another thread about this?  If you didn't read that thread, it referredto another thread from 7 years ago about the same thing.  Boost.Format already provides amember function and a free function to convert a format object to a string.  The conversionsthrow if the format object hasn't had all of its parameters filled in.  You want to add a thirdmethod?  Unlike int vs. double, a formatting object and a string are NOT conceptually the samething, so adding an implicit conversion would be bad.  (Actually, we should limit implicitconversions in general; so converting weakly-connected types should definitely be out.)
Daryle W.