Subject: Re: [boost] [Format] Making a change
From: John M. Dlugosz (mpbecey7gu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-14 07:56:40

On 2/13/2012 11:04 PM, Daryle Walker wrote:

> Wasn't there recently another thread about this? If you didn't read that thread, it referredto another thread from 7 years ago about the same thing. Boost.Format already provides amember function and a free function to convert a format object to a string. The conversionsthrow if the format object hasn't had all of its parameters filled in. You want to add a thirdmethod? Unlike int vs. double, a formatting object and a string are NOT conceptually the samething, so adding an implicit conversion would be bad. (Actually, we should limit implicitconversions in general; so converting weakly-connected types should definitely be out.)
> Daryle W.

Yes, I do indeed. Both forms of str require extra parens and is a bit awkward for
in-place formatting of strings, in particular for error messages like the argument to an
exception constructor.

Would it go over well if we _removed_ the ability for ostream to take a formatter without
an extra function call? After all, you could use str for that too! My impression is that
the ostream use-case was thought about, but the exception case was not.
I do admit that for a named string variable, initializing it using free-function str isn't
too bad.

—John