Subject: [boost] Can we use SVG (Scalable Vector graphics) for HTML Boost docs?
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-18 07:52:51

In adding new functions and distributions to Boost.Math, I've become dissatisfied with diagrams and
equations using PNG.

They are either large and/or fuzzy :-(

And they get fuzzier if you expand them :-((

All browsers now support native display of SVG (Scalable Vector graphics) quite well

*except* older versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE9 displays SVG OK).

So we are still producing HTML versions of the Boost.Math docs using embedded PNG equations and
diagrams.

So everyone has to endure poor quality diagrams and equations, just so that a few MS IE<9 users can
see the diagrams.

1 I'd like to have views on when we can disregard the Luddites and use SVG throughout?

We'd also like to use MathML to display equations, saving authors a lot of effort and much reduced
file sizes.

All current versions of browsers *except Microsoft IE - even IE9* also support MathML.

2 I'd like views on using MathML - with the downside that all IE users would not see equations
displayed?

(Everyone can view the PDF version - which uses SVG, so displays nicely even when magnified).

Thank you.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,