Subject: Re: [boost] TR2 is dead; multiple TR's coming instead
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-20 23:37:46

On 2/20/2012 6:03 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Nathan Ridge<zeratul976_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> From: bdawes_at_[hidden]
>>>
>>> Evolution is also breaking work into parallel tracks.
>>> Minor language tweaks that don't require rework of the current library
>>> workload or is particularly complex on a track for the 2017 time
>>> frame, while stuff that has a big impact on the library or is
>>> otherwise complex or time consuming on a track for 2022.
>>>
>>> It isn't clear yet which track modules belong to. That may end up
>>> depending on how many features get added.
>>
>> This may be slightly OT, but do you know which track concepts belong
>> to?
>
> Tentatively 2022, although experimental compilers are likely to be
> available much sooner.
>
> There is concern that 2017 is too soon for language changes that have
> a major impact on the library and on users, and that C++11 changes
> need to be fully implemented and absorbed by the community first.

It is disappointing to hear that it is anticipated that it will take
another decade before 'concepts' become an official part of C++,
considering how close it came to acceptance for C++11. I am seriously
hoping that interested parties will see that adding 'concepts' to C++
much sooner is very important to the language, especially for those
doing template programming.