Subject: Re: [boost] [numeric] Applying trivial bugfix
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-28 12:16:14

Iain Denniston wrote:
>> Fix is trivial and well known: replace throw x; with
>> BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION(x); in a converter_policies.hpp file. But the
>> library maintainer does not like BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION because of
>> code bloat.
> Perhaps what would be better would be to have a macro for "simple"
> exceptions that could be added in whatever file(s)
> BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTIONs definition exists
> (BOOST_THROW_SIMPLE_EXCEPTION? BOOST_THROW_UNMODIFIED_EXCEPTION?
> BOOST_THROW_RAW_EXCEPTION? not sure any of those names work). All if would
> do would throw the exception if
> exceptions are enabled or call the function otherwise - I'm sure this
> could be used in many other places and would avoid having an abundance
> of practically identical statement blocks.

That's the way it was originally. Then the implementation of
BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION got changed creating unexpected behavior and side
effects in all the libraries which used. So...

Maybe we can make BOOST_HANDLE_EXCEPTION to reinstall
the initial behavior. However this time, it should only be writable
in the SVN system by a strictly limited group of people who
know that changing the implementation of something already
in wide usage is not a good idea for lots of reasons.

Robert Ramey