Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Philippe Vaucher (philippe.vaucher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-07 11:10:53

> Right, and there are plethora of ways to mess up local copies with git.
> While it might be possible to get back in a sane state it is extremely
> hard. As said, especially with the features everything advertises here, it
> gets really hard to maintain something like a mainline git repository.

Maybe it has already been said, but I disagree. It's extremely simple to
get back to a sane state if you fuck up your repo with git: simply type
"git reflog", find the line showing the commit where everything was still
correct, then "git reset --hard SHA1_OF_CORRECT_COMMIT" and you're back to
where you started.

This feature removes the pressure of _having_ to do your merges correctly
the first time like you have to in svn, which makes the use of topic
branches and friends a pleasure and not a pain.

My 0.02$
Philippe