Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Christopher Jefferson (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-07 12:39:28

On 7 Mar 2012, at 16:10, Philippe Vaucher wrote:

>> Right, and there are plethora of ways to mess up local copies with git.
>> While it might be possible to get back in a sane state it is extremely
>> hard. As said, especially with the features everything advertises here, it
>> gets really hard to maintain something like a mainline git repository.
>>

> Maybe it has already been said, but I disagree. It's extremely simple to
> get back to a sane state if you fuck up your repo with git: simply type
> "git reflog", find the line showing the commit where everything was still
> correct, then "git reset --hard SHA1_OF_CORRECT_COMMIT" and you're back to
> where you started.
>
> This feature removes the pressure of _having_ to do your merges correctly
> the first time like you have to in svn, which makes the use of topic
> branches and friends a pleasure and not a pain.

That is an extremely useful git hint. I am sure I will not be alone in having never seen it. Even looking briefly at the documentation for reflog doesn't make it easy to understand that is what I wanted.

This is the biggest problem with git -- there are a hundred tiny things to learn which are hard to find when you do not know what you are looking for.

Chris