Subject: Re: [boost] Is there interest in a reusable stream-based console?
From: Rhys Ulerich (rhys.ulerich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-09 10:09:07

Hi Michael,

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Michael Hava <mfh_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I’ve recently started to design a header-only reusable console-class that’s based on std::iostream. It can be customized by adding a variable amount of “commands”.

I can understand the header-only motivation, but have you considered
using SWIG (http://www.swig.org/) to wrap you C++ in your favorite
scripting language and then simply re-using the interactive shell
provided by that language?

For example, you'd have to write an unbelievable amount of code to
provide functionality equivalent to SWIGing your logic into Python and
then using from the isympy shell. Presumably also Boost.Python would
be a possibility instead of SWIG if you wanted Python. I suggest SWIG
only because it supports a broader range of scripting languages and
because I know it better.

- Rhys