Subject: Re: [boost] [git] What's the IDE picture like?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-16 13:37:06

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> All this talk about switching to git brings up one important question for
> me, and I suspect others..
>
> Given all the various git-flow, git-this, git-that, git-whatever, tools
> that are getting mentioned.. What is the process for a user that wants to
> do their development, including version control, like? Specifically what
> does an:
>
> * Eclipse user do?
> * Xcode user do?
> * VIsualStudio user do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efS0kKvfi6k

But do consider TortoiseGit too. It is compatible with TortoiseSVN,
and you can run both at the same time without problems. While
integration with an IDE has advantages, integration with Windows
Explorer is handy too.

> I ask because I'm really tired of learning yet more command lines tools at
> this stage in my life. And even though all GUI tools have drawbacks they do
> have the advantage that they condense the workflow usages to something
> understandable. And I would be really hard pressed to use any new version
> control system that I can't use a GUI. And preferably an integrated GUI.

One of the pluses for Git is that the community is so active. That
includes integration with just about anything that a version control
system can be integrated with.

--Beman