Subject: Re: [boost] [chrono] [thread] Test names too long
From: Joshua Boyce (raptorfactor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-18 22:50:48

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:56 AM, Steven Watanabe <watanabesj_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> AMDG
>
> I think we used to have a policy limiting file names
> to 31 characters. According to
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
> ,
> the limit for
> the total path length is 260 characters.
>
> In Christ,
> Steven Watanabe

Perhaps this is a good reason to look into using the Unicode path style?
The obvious pro is that it supports path up to around 32k characters,
however the downside is that the majority of Windows software doesn't
really deal well with paths this long, including programs built into
Windows like Explorer (which is just ridiculous imo, but there's nothing we
can do about that...).

Obviously it would be better to keep the paths under the MAX_PATH limit
regardless, just to keep the majority of users sane, however it would be
nice if the Unicode path style was supported regardless, so users (who
understand the consequences) can nest Boost arbitrarily deep into a
directory structure and it still works (assuming the tools they are using
also support the Unicode path format).