Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Mercurial?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-20 05:13:55

on Tue Mar 20 2012, Bjørn Roald <bjorn-AT-4roald.org> wrote:

> On emacs I have settled with egg.el which work on all
> platforms and support most of my tasks. So even if there are
> alternatives I have not tried, I have no need to look further.

IMO you absolutely *must* try Magit if you are an emacs user. Oh, wow,
egg calls itself a "clone of Marius' excellent magit." According to
http://alexott.net/en/writings/emacs-vcs/EmacsGit.html#sec18 it adds
Windows portability to magit, so that's something interesting. I wish
the differences were more clearly laid out. Well, according to
https://github.com/bogolisk/egg/commits/master, egg hasn't been changed
in 3 years, while https://github.com/magit/magit/commits/master shows
that magit is still quite actively maintained.

> Well, if I had to choose I would go for Git, without really having any
> strong opinion against Hg. One of my main reasons would be the fact
> that even as Git has been solid all along for us, it has improved a
> lot on its support for its weaker aspects over the last few years. I
> strongly feel any remaining problems, if any, that should concern
> boost will be fixed sooner rather than later.

And this rate of improvement is in no small measure due to Git's
popularity. It's a self-reinforcing cycle.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing