Subject: Re: [boost] DCVS vs CVS: call for constructivism
From: Philippe Vaucher (philippe.vaucher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-23 06:57:51

> > - Speed of operations compared to svn
> > - No need to setup a server to work locally (encourages participation
> > (focus on working first, then sharing later))
>
> What about ease of modularization and breadth of community support?
>
> What about developer preference? My impression is that a sizable
> majority of developers who have used both distributed and
> non-distributed VCS come to prefer distributed.

Good points. About developer preferences, this is why I'm trying to suggest
the best solution might be a multi-protocol repository. For example, github
can serve over svn & git, I know other hosting solutions provide similar
features.

> > Maybe we'd start a page on the wiki, but the idea is to find out if there
> > are more steps to be done and if there's any showstopper in those steps.
>
> What you are suggesting seems to be what the Ryppl folks been working
> on for several years now.

You're right that the migration probably overlaps a lot with what Ryppl
tries to achieve. I hope for everyone's best that both will move forward as
a result.

Philippe