Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Mercurial?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-24 18:46:05

On 3/24/2012 2:20 PM, Martin Geisler wrote:
> Edward Diener<eldiener_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> snip...
>> You can't update or commit without access to an SVN repository, but
>> this has nothing to do with restricting access to any part of an SVN
>> repository, which is a no-brainer in SVN.
>
> I think the point was that SVN requires you to work with a branch in the
> central repository. A DVCS allows (but doesn't require) you to work with
> a branch that you keep local and truly private.
>
> You're suggesting that this can be done with SVN too by creating the
> branch in the central repository and then restricting read and write
> access to it? Yes -- that is possible, but it's not a natural way to
> work with SVN.

This depends purely on how you work. I have worked in places where the
SVN repository was setup to section off who could work with what on the
same repository or different repositories. There is nothing NOT natural
in this and saying that "it's not a natural way to work with SVN" shows
a clear bias.