Subject: Re: [boost] [svn/git/hg] Support for modularization of Boost?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-04 15:57:16

on Wed Apr 04 2012, "Robert Ramey" <ramey-AT-rrsd.com> wrote:

> Bj.rn Roald wrote:
>> On 04/04/2012 09:20 AM, Robert Ramey wrote:
>> maybe
>>> I would think that the testing/deployment process could
>>> update/export each library from a different place without
>>> much problem.
>>
>> Not very clear what testing/deployment process mean here, but I think
>> this can work fine.
>
> I had more specific thoughts on this but as it became clear that this
> would be significant issue, I deleted them from my post to avoid
> confusing things.
>
>> However, I think there also should be simple ways of using subset of
>> modules from boost without fetching them from a release of the
>> complete thing.
>
> This is the essential thing to me. I want to pick and choose
> which libraries I want to download and install (subject
> to requirements for pre-requisites) the combination of libraries
> I want to install.
>
> Also, I absolutley need to have library
> by library usage/download statistics.
>
> Basically, I want to eliminate the requirement that all boost
> developers use the same repository/system. It can be
> just as well left up to the developer which/what to use.

That is certainly a place we can get to eventually if we go with
0install. The shape of things is that 0install is looking like it will
be much more essential to Ryppl, in the long run, than either CMake or
Git, and choice of build tool/VCS can be more flexible in the long run.
But we have to start somewhere.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing