Subject: Re: [boost] [SVN] Spurious changes to lots of files....
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-07 15:07:37

On 7 April 2012 17:25, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Right. My understanding has always been that merges should be done at
> the root. I didn't know why (now I do, thanks Daniel), but I've followed
> the recommended procedure religiously. Now I will upgrade to 1.7.3.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that well, since a lot of people don't
do it. So the metadata at the top levels is pretty useless. And we
can't just use 'svn mergeinfo' to find out what hasn't been merged.

What some people do is merge at the root of their subdirectories (e.g.
boost/xpressive and libs/xpressive). That way they get the benefit of
merge tracking without creating too much metadata.

> Daniel, is there any way to clean up the merge info Boost-wide and bring
> these stray files back into the fold?

The merge data in a directory can be removed with:

svn propdel -q -R svn:mergeinfo directory

But that can knock out tracking data that someone is actually using,
so that when they next try to merge it will reapply revisions that
have already been merged.