Subject: Re: [boost] [svn/git/hg] Support for modularization of Boost?
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-11 16:04:31

On 04/11/2012 04:15 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> The use of 0install makes modularization a non-issue where the DVCS is
> concerned, so I truly don't think it's worth hashing over the different
> ways you can handle this with Hg or Git or SVN.

Oinstall based solution sounds like it is worth investigating, but I am
a bit concerned you are concluding too fast here that DVCS alternatives
for inter module dependency management is not needed. As you have
stated in an earlier post, most boost developers are only working on one
boost library, hence a 0install solution for pulling inn all
dependencies sounds like it will meet the requirements - I agree on
that. However, what about when there is a need to work on more than one
library? Or for that sake a boost wide fix due to changes in config,
boostbook, quickbook, build, etc. What then?

I guess more add-hoc use of submodule, subtree, subrepo, externals, or
whatever may be set up by a script, or in worst case even manually. For
that to be reasonably simple, it may however require some preference
alignment within boost for what (D)VCS to use and how to set it up.

--
Bjørn