Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] [system] Suddenly, dynamic linking by default
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-29 10:29:29

Dave Abrahams wrote:
> on Sun Apr 29 2012, Lars Viklund <zao-AT-acc.umu.se> wrote:
>
> > Hello list.
> >
> > I have a habit of tracking trunk to find out if there's any
> > strangeness or mistakes done on the platforms I target.
> >
> > A while ago I encountered some strange linking errors on some of my
> > projects, which in the end turned out to be because for some reason,
> > Boost.Filesystem and Boost.System now attempt to be dynamically linked
> > by default, both symbol-decoration-wise and auto-link filename-wise.
>
> Have you identified the source code change that caused this change in
> behavior? I'm just wondering if you're reporting it to the right place
> (e.g., maybe the boost-build list needs to hear about it).

I believe Lars reported to the right place as his problems are the result of
configuration changes in Boost.Filesystem and Boost.System which break
backwards compatibility for users (it does for me as well, btw).

The changes to Boost.System affect other libraries as well (all libraries
depending on Boost.System).

These changes are unrelated to Boost.Build as they affect users while
building _their_ code.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu