Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] [system] Suddenly, dynamic linking by default
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-29 10:40:04

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 09:53:31AM -0400, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> on Sun Apr 29 2012, Lars Viklund <zao-AT-acc.umu.se> wrote:
> > A while ago I encountered some strange linking errors on some of my
> > projects, which in the end turned out to be because for some
> > reason, Boost.Filesystem and Boost.System now attempt to be dynamically
> > linked by default, both symbol-decoration-wise and auto-link
> > filename-wise.
>
> Have you identified the source code change that caused this change in
> behavior? I'm just wondering if you're reporting it to the right place
> (e.g., maybe the boost-build list needs to hear about it).

I have been travelling all of April, but it's most probably a few
weeks old as I detected the first symptoms of it before heading out,
back when I assumed it was a problem with a recent change of platform in
my code.

No other library that this codebase currently autolinks [1] exhibits this
behaviour, just System and Filesystem.

I do not believe that this is appropriate for boost-build@, as this is
all about how the library instructs the headers responsible for symbol
decoration and autolinking, not anything that Boost.Build does.

[1] BOOST_LIB_DIAGNOSTIC says:
  Linking to lib file: boost_system-vc90-mt-gd-1_50.lib
  Linking to lib file: libboost_date_time-vc90-mt-gd-1_50.lib
  Linking to lib file: libboost_regex-vc90-mt-gd-1_50.lib
  Linking to lib file: boost_filesystem-vc90-mt-gd-1_50.lib
  Linking to lib file: libboost_thread-vc90-mt-gd-1_50.lib
  Linking to lib file: libboost_chrono-vc90-mt-gd-1_50.lib

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]