Subject: [boost] C++ Standards Committee membership for Boost?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-10 08:55:42

The relationship between Boost and the C++ Standards Committee has
been strictly informal. That's been fine, particularly given that most
Boost moderators were members of the standards committee and regularly
attended meetings. As the standards committee gears up to accept
library proposals, the relationship is getting even closer.

I believe it would be advantageous for Boost to join the C++ committee
as a voting member.

Procedurally, that would mean joining the INCITS (www.incits.org)
PL22.16, which is the US national body for C++ standardization. Boost
is consider US domiciled in ISO-speak.

The advantages of joining include:

* We get to participate in formal votes. Right now, we only
participate in straw votes.
* Boosters would be able to attend committee meetings by right rather
than as a courtesy.
* Boosters would be able to participate in committee mailing lists
with less hoops to jump through.
* Psychologically, it may give us a bit more weight in committee matters.

Comments? Opinions?

--Beman