Subject: Re: [boost] [1.50.0] Beta schedule
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-22 12:20:05

> I'm confused.. How is it that people don't understand that as soon as
> a release it out the door.. It's then time to merge libraries from
> trunk to release until the "release branch is closed" announcement
> goes out. Why is it that people want to wait until right before the
> release is close to do the merges?

because people are
* busy with other things like day jobs
* bugs are reported/fixed at any time
* people wait for the tests to cycle before they merge changes into trunk
* merging with svn is a pain and people try to limit the number of times
they have to mess with it (at least this is my reason)
* there is only one `release' branch and not one branch for each
release, so it is not very clear what state the branch is in (unless you
follow this list every day)

fwiw, i'm not a big fan of late merges, either ... in the contrast ...
but for the last releases we always had a wonderful schedule which was
known in advance.

but if you go though the list archives, there were several questions, if
there is a release schedule for 1.50. even a question: "Which is the
last day to merge to release a big change?" ... maybe you should have
written your above advice as answer to that mail? ;)