Subject: Re: [boost] [1.50.0] Beta schedule
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-22 17:53:00

On 22-5-2012 19:02, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:
> Le 22/05/12 17:52, Rene Rivera a écrit :
>> I'm confused.. How is it that people don't understand that as soon as
>> a release it out the door.. It's then time to merge libraries from
>> trunk to release until the "release branch is closed" announcement
>> goes out. Why is it that people want to wait until right before the
>> release is close to do the merges?
>>
> Hi,
>
> I don't think people is waiting until the last moment. They have just
> things to commit and no calendar has been posted.
> I recall you that I requested calendar more than 3 weeks ago.
>
> Best,
> Vicente

I can only confirm this, and the mails of Tim, John, Olaf. There was no
news in the calendar at all. And it is still completely empty. I
regularly checked the calendar but it was always empty.

There were several requests (at least 5) on the mailing list about the
schedule. All these mails were never answered with a date (besides that
Beman was pinged). So there was no communication, we did not know if
there was one week to go, one month, three months...

As developers we know to need the schedule in advance, to make plans
what to put in, what to finish, what to postpone to next release.

Now, the only real communication was the mail of today.

We need some period to know in advance of the closure. Next monday is
too early, there is only one weekend in between. I suggest a longer
period, at least one weekend more (at least, for us).

In general I would suggest to know the closure date at least 3 weeks
(but preferably much longer, given the fact that we all have a busy live).

Thanks, Barend