Subject: [boost] [1.50.0] RELEASE BRANCH REOPENED (was: Beta schedule)
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-22 18:46:37
On 5/22/2012 2:53 PM, Barend Gehrels wrote:
> I can only confirm this, and the mails of Tim, John, Olaf. There was no
> news in the calendar at all. And it is still completely empty. I
> regularly checked the calendar but it was always empty.
> There were several requests (at least 5) on the mailing list about the
> schedule. All these mails were never answered with a date (besides that
> Beman was pinged). So there was no communication, we did not know if
> there was one week to go, one month, three months...
> As developers we know to need the schedule in advance, to make plans
> what to put in, what to finish, what to postpone to next release.
> Now, the only real communication was the mail of today.
> We need some period to know in advance of the closure. Next monday is
> too early, there is only one weekend in between. I suggest a longer
> period, at least one weekend more (at least, for us).
> In general I would suggest to know the closure date at least 3 weeks
> (but preferably much longer, given the fact that we all have a busy live).
The release managers have heard you. We're currently discussing a better
plan. I'm personally very sorry for the poor way this has been managed.
Look for an email from us shortly. I'm taking it upon myself to reopen
the release branch for BUG FIXES ONLY (no new libraries). Please get
your changes in as soon as is convenient and prudent. It should be open
for at least a week. Then we'll require release manager approval. Please
be sure trunk tests are clean before merging anything, as usual.
Thanks for your patience. We were all very busy in the run-up to
BoostCon, and this got away from us. That's not an excuse, just an
-- Eric Niebler BoostPro Computing http://www.boostpro.com
Boost list run by bdawes at acm.org, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk