Subject: Re: [boost] [1.50.0] RELEASE BRANCH REOPENED
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-23 14:13:47
On 23-5-2012 0:46, Eric Niebler wrote:
> On 5/22/2012 2:53 PM, Barend Gehrels wrote:
>> I can only confirm this, and the mails of Tim, John, Olaf. There was no
>> news in the calendar at all. And it is still completely empty. I
>> regularly checked the calendar but it was always empty.
>> There were several requests (at least 5) on the mailing list about the
>> schedule. All these mails were never answered with a date (besides that
>> Beman was pinged). So there was no communication, we did not know if
>> there was one week to go, one month, three months...
>> As developers we know to need the schedule in advance, to make plans
>> what to put in, what to finish, what to postpone to next release.
>> Now, the only real communication was the mail of today.
>> We need some period to know in advance of the closure. Next monday is
>> too early, there is only one weekend in between. I suggest a longer
>> period, at least one weekend more (at least, for us).
>> In general I would suggest to know the closure date at least 3 weeks
>> (but preferably much longer, given the fact that we all have a busy live).
> The release managers have heard you. We're currently discussing a better
> plan. I'm personally very sorry for the poor way this has been managed.
> Look for an email from us shortly. I'm taking it upon myself to reopen
> the release branch for BUG FIXES ONLY (no new libraries). Please get
> your changes in as soon as is convenient and prudent. It should be open
> for at least a week. Then we'll require release manager approval. Please
> be sure trunk tests are clean before merging anything, as usual.
> Thanks for your patience. We were all very busy in the run-up to
> BoostCon, and this got away from us. That's not an excuse, just an
Eric, thanks a lot for your quick answer and follow up!
Boost list run by bdawes at acm.org, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk