Subject: Re: [boost] From an user to developers
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-08 13:06:09

Oodini wrote:

> I am an user, and I am currently reviewing all the Boost
> libraries.

Welcome to Boost!

> The Boost organization should compel the libraries authors to
> put in their documentation :
>
> 1. the history of all releases, with notes for each release

There are per-library release notes managed at the release level visible on boost.org.

> 2. the motivation of their library

I agree that this is useful. It can be difficult to grasp the value of a library when first reading about it.

> 3. when they offer services similar to the ones provided by
> the STL, why did they feel the need to complete it, and what
> are the differences

Any apparent duplication of the standard library should be discussed.

> 3. for the relevant libraries, their status regarding the new
> features of C++11 (are they obsolete ? do they remain some
> differences ? ex : Array, Chrono, DateTime), especially the
> ones related to TR1

There are a great many new C++11 features. It would be inordinately burdensome to expect each library maintainer to indicate which of those features have been used, won't be used, etc.

Where a library provides a C++03 equivalent for a C++11 feature, it does make sense to note the differences.

> An homogeneous structure for the documentation would be
> welcome.

Increasingly, there is commonality among the various libraries. Older libraries predate the current documentation mechanisms, so would be nontrivial to update. Some libraries are documented with standardization in mind, and while I understand the motivation for the resulting standard-like documentation format, it isn't accessible to normal users.

Most of these issues can be addressed, however, by filing bugs and supplying patches. Most of the maintainers would apply, if not welcome, useful documentation improvements.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]
Software Engineer using std::disclaimer;
Dev Tools & Components