Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and exceptions
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-21 20:32:26

on Wed Jun 20 2012, Emil Dotchevski <emildotchevski-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>> > On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> > It is clear that you don't approve of the current definition of
>> > boost::throw_exception. That's fine, you don't have to use it, but if
>> > you want to criticize it, it'd help if you first understand it.
>> > Otherwise you end up making unsubstantiated claims, rather than
>> > pointing out real problems.
>>
>> lol - I haven't critcised boost exception. I only understand it in
>> the very vaguest terms. I've said this in as many ways as I can
>> think of. I don't know what else to do.
>>

> I'm confused. I thought you were complaining about build times and
> dependencies.
>
> I mean, if there is a problem with boost::throw_exception or any other part
> of Boost Exception, I'd like to know about it.

Attempting to break a deadlock here...

It seems clear to me from his posts that Robert wants to talk about the
process and has forgotten any specifics about actual problems. It seems
clear to me from your posts that you are most concerned with actual
problems. Since he doesn't have the information, why not take his
suggestion and search the lists for problems involving throw_exception
and serialization? Seems like the only way for you to make progress.

I'm not sure how to create progress for Robert, unfortunately.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing