Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and exceptions
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-22 03:16:45

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Daniel James <dnljms_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 22 June 2012 04:39, Emil Dotchevski <emildotchevski_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > In its initial release (1.36), Boost Exception did not support
> > BOOST_NO_RTTI configurations, which seemed reasonable because most
> > compilers require RTTI for exception handling. The workaround was to
> > #define BOOST_EXCEPTION_DISABLE under BOOST_NO_RTTI. A permanent fix was
> > committed to trunk two weeks later, and released with 1.37.
>
> If we actually want to improve the process, that suggests to me that
> it'd be useful to have at least one tester running with rtti disabled
> (and perhaps another with exceptions disabled) and that we might want
> to reconsider point releases, which is hopefully easier with a
> modularised git setup.

Yes, this is exactly why the problem wasn't detected before the release: we
don't test that configuration.

RTTI is particularly tricky because it isn't a simple on-off thing, there's
BOOST_NO_RTTI and a separate BOOST_NO_TYPEID, plus there is an implicit
link between RTTI and exception handling in some (most?) compilers.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.