Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and exceptions
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-22 03:10:04

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams wrote:
> > I'm not sure how to create progress for Robert, unfortunately.
>
> lol - then it doesn't matter as it seems I'm (almost) the only one
> that is concerned by this.
>
> The problem was the gratuitious inclusion of a new
> dependency. The extent/nature of any problem it created or didn't
> create is not relevant here. Just the injection of a new body
> of code which replaced two lines and added no functionality
> used/needed by the serialization library makes the any library
> which used boost::throw_exception "bigger" for no reason.

You seem to think that if a library doesn't benefit from calling
boost::throw_exception, then the call to boost::throw_exception can't
benefit the users of the library.

As a matter of fact this is not true. There are practical benefits (to
Boost users) from what you call "bigger", while the downside remains
abstract.

> It makes the library more "fragil". It means I have I a new place
> to look if something needs looking into. etc.etc.
>
> Sorry, I just can't understand why anyone fails to see this point.

Because you keep talking in the abstract. You'll have better luck if you
point out a practical issue with boost::throw_exception.

> So we'll just move on as Vicente suggested. That will
> be satisfactory from my standpoint.

Your satisfaction notwithstanding, there needs to be a reason to change how
Boost deals with exceptions.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.