Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and exceptions
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-22 13:53:04

>> The more dependencies you
>> introduce, the more fragile your code becomes, but there's a great
>> deal of benefit to reuse, too. The only issue in this case is that
>> one can reasonably expect a top-level header to avoid dependencies on
>> libraries.
>
> Personally I wouldn't say it's the only issue. But I'm glad we can
> agree that it's its a BIG issue.
>
>There are a lot of headers violating your rule. What problems has it
>caused?

I suspect that's true.

Here's another point then - if the two small headers of Boost.Exception upon
which throw_exception depends were moved into boost/detail/ - would that
make you happier? I don't see it makes any difference myself: other perhaps
than making a declaration that these are and will remain lightweight
includes, and won't suddenly dump a whole bunch of other Boost.Exception
code into your files.

John.