Subject: Re: [boost] [serialization] Reading newer archives - was throwing unsupported_class_version, now crashes
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-25 15:38:05

Nikolay Mladenov wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I have been reading the recent thread "Boost and Exceptions" with
> great interest.
> There you discuss at some length the problems of introducing breaking
> changes and library authoring in general.
>
> This reminded me that you have not yet adequately responded to the
> problem posted in thread, so I decided to bump it up.
>
> Do you have any plans about acknowledging/fixing the problem ( a
> breaking change)
> discussed here and filed as ticked:
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6856.

Hmmm - as I understand it, re-enableing the version # code would address
your concern. Am I correct? I don't have object to doing this - the
only reason I disabled it was that certain users had decided to overload
the version # with other information like date. This came up as a problem
when I change the size of the version # in the binary file. I suppose
we can re-enable it now since this has likely been addressed by all
users. Let me know if that would address your issue. And re-enable
it in your own copy of the library and verify that reallly IS the issue.

Robert Ramey