Subject: Re: [boost] [1.51][Release] Short release cycle
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-29 09:47:24

>> * boost.atomic seems to be dead, at least helge does not respond anymore
>> and the library will probably be obsolete, because once it is merged,
>> all compilers will support std::atomic
>
> I strongly disagree with this statement.
>
> There's a lot of compilers that Boost still pretends to care about. It
> would be very unfortunate if we devolve into just targetting the
> "popular" few.

well, atm, only very few compilers provide std::atomics. no idea about
the m$ world, but boost.lockfree requires gcc-4.7 or the latest clang
(the one currently shipped by xcode is not sufficient)
so for now one has to look hard for a compiler, that boost.lockfree
would support out of the box.

boost.atomic would be wonderful way to support older (read current)
compilers, but helge would have to show up again, or someone would have
to adopt boost.atomic

tim