Subject: Re: [boost] [Lockfree] ringbuffer
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-08 03:27:00

>> First off, all Boost.Lockfree tests in trunk are passing for me on clang
>> 4.0 on OS X, hurrah! Thank you Tim for working on this for so long...
>>
>> I'm running through the examples now, only with the outdated documentation
>> as a guide (more than a couple years old). I cannot find the ringbuffer
>> container - was it renamed or removed altogether during the review period?
>>
>> I notice spsc_queue acts awefully like a ringbuffer, and it's
>> implementation contains many
>>

> ... ringbuffer-like classes - is this the decided class for creating a
> lockfree buffer that reuses memory?

the ringbuffer was renamed to spsc_queue: internal data structure is a
ringbuffer, but it models a single-producer single-consumer wait-free
queue. so the name reflects the properties rather than the
implementation. iirc the same data structure is called `bounded queue'
in shavit/herlihy, fifo in the linux kernel and ringbuffer in many
audio-related projects.

btw, all data structures in boost.lockfree can be configured to reuse
memory in order to be usable in systems where you want to avoid memory
allocations

tim