Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in Base2/16/32/64 Encoding Library?
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-08 13:34:11

On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 07:53:56AM -0800, Robert Ramey wrote:
> Lars Viklund wrote:
> >>
> >> it would be great if that could be added to as filters to
> >> boost.iostreams ... it is listed on this wiki page [1], which seems
> >> to be some kind of todo list.
> >
> > Not only, I hope.
> >
> > I for one do not wish to depend on such a massive library full of
> > things I really do not care about, just to get such fundamental
> > transformations.
> >
> > I'd prefer a freestanding Boost library that Iostreams could be made
> > to trivially depend on to implement its filters.
>
> On could implement this as a standard conforming code_convert facet which
> could
> then be attached to any stream. Actually there might be
> room in boost for a code_convert facet library based on
> composed/nested iteratator adaptors.

No, you misunderstand me.

Why does it have to only be a stream filter or codecvt facet? What's
wrong with some nice light low-level free functions or classes, on top
of which you can build whatever fancy abstractions you want.

Streams and codecvts are fine and all, but very often way too much fluff
around a very simple algorithm that shouldn't need such plumbing.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]