Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in Base2/16/32/64 Encoding Library?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-08 16:05:12

Lars Viklund wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 07:53:56AM -0800, Robert Ramey wrote:

>> On could implement this as a standard conforming code_convert facet
>> which could
>> then be attached to any stream. Actually there might be
>> room in boost for a code_convert facet library based on
>> composed/nested iteratator adaptors.
>
> No, you misunderstand me.
>
> Why does it have to only be a stream filter or codecvt facet? What's
> wrong with some nice light low-level free functions or classes, on top
> of which you can build whatever fancy abstractions you want.
>
> Streams and codecvts are fine and all, but very often way too much
> fluff around a very simple algorithm that shouldn't need such
> plumbing.

I think we're in agreement here. The "dataflow iterators" of the
serialization library is what I aways envisioned for this. It's really
a "filter construction kit". The filters used by the serialization
library (and there a number of them) are constructed by composing
simpler ones to create a higher level one. So you only need
to include enough code to get what you want. I stopped
polishing it when it was good enough build all the filters
that the serialization library required. Later boost range came
about which is a more complete implementation of this idea.

It always seemed to me that it would be interesting to use
this approach to compose code_convert facets to taste.
But code_convert facets aren't all that popular so the idea.
So it's not clear that this would be a worthwhile project.

Robert Ramey