Subject: Re: [boost] [graph] interest in resumable dijkstra?
From: Alex Hagen-Zanker (ahh34_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-03 20:13:27

On Jul 30 2012, Jeremiah Willcock wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Jul 2012, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>

>> on Fri Jul 13 2012, Alex Hagen-Zanker <ahh34-AT-cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/7130.
>>>
>>> To see for yourself: http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/ahh34/dijkstra_test.zip
>>>
>>> I am interested to hear your opinion.
>>
>> It might make sense to consider whether Boost.Context could be used to
>> do this job without major restructuring of the existing dijkstra code.
>> http://lists.boost.org/boost-announce/2011/05/0310.php
>
>It would work, but I think using a lower-level, more general library like
>that would have a higher performance impact than doing something
>algorithm-specific. I think doing something like a manual translation of
>N3328 resumable functions or similar to get generators (with event points
>as yield statements) would be faster, even though it would tangle the
>algorithm specification more. I have written macros that help to make
>that kind of code cleaner for previous projects, so a variant of them
>might help for this use case as well.
>
>-- Jeremiah Willcock

This is beyond my knowledge, and I cannot really comment on Boost Context
or N3328. But it may be relevant to point out that I use the class for more
than just interupting and resuming the current dijkstra shortest path
function, I also -skip initialization -serialize and deserialize the state
of the algorithm -change the course of the algorithm by resuming with
different visitors

Best wishes, Alex