Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] Memory usage of threads on 64bit linux
From: Conrad Mercer (cmercer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-28 20:14:43

Hey,

So with three responses so far all talking about stack allocation, I
will clarify by saying that on the 32bit and 64bit linux platform that
we are running with the default stack size is 8mb. However this is
expected and we see exactly that in the profiling results. The large
allocation (which is indeed all virtual) on 64bit comes from:

line 45 in once.cpp:

data=malloc(sizeof(boost::uintmax_t)); // mmap's about 90mb per thread

I have done some additional digging and this doesn't seem to
specifically be a boost problem as I first thought. I have found that if
you allocate any memory in a pthread the large allocation is seen. I am
unsure as to why this is happening, although I am aware that virtual
memory is relatively 'free' on 64bit systems so it might just be a
greedy optimisation of some type. Would still be interested if someone
could clarify exactly what is going on.