Subject: Re: [boost] IDE for developing Boost
From: Peter Sommerlad (peter.sommerlad_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-06 05:01:13

Dear Jens,
On 06.09.2012, at 07:03, Jens Müller wrote:

> At work, most developers (not for Boost, for some commercial software), most developers are using Eclipse. This works quite fine as soon as it has properly auto-discovered include paths etc.

We are working hard since about 2006 to create good C++ support for Eclipse CDT. We implemented large parts of CDT's refactoring infrastructure and used it in a variety of plug-ins we provide free of charge. Some of our tools actually made it into CDT or at least into Eclipse marketplace (metriculator, CUTE plug-in).

I/we use Eclipse CDT for development and teaching our students.

The versions before Ganymede were not always adequate with respect to setting up projects, parsing C++, but as of today (Indigo, Juno) that should no longer be a problem. Only Juno's parser still lacks some of C++11 syntax. We implemented the remaining parts, but not in time to make it for the release. If you need that, I believe we can arrange a download for the patched version that I use for my teaching of C++11 from mid-September on.

For existing projects using SCons, we even created a plug-in (http://sconsolidator.com) that allows to import and export SCons projects seamlessly. Those projects even build faster within the IDE for small changes, since it lets SCons running in the background and as long as you do not fiddle with file dependencies you can get very quick recompiles without paying the high price of SCons' startup time.

If someone needs help and support using Eclipse CDT for C++ development, feel free to ask.

Best Regards
Peter.

--
Prof. Peter Sommerlad
Institut für Software: Bessere Software - Einfach, Schneller!