Subject: Re: [boost] How to bind program termination with end-of-stream in Boost.Process 0.5?
From: Boris Schaeling (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-15 20:04:45

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 21:36:53 +0200, alfC <alfredo.correa_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]So, the question is, is the boost.iostream really necessary? or is
> shown in the example for generality?

Boost.Process uses the types file_descriptor_source and
file_descriptor_sink from Boost.Iostreams to wrap a file descriptor or
Windows handle. For example, the initializers bind_stdin, bind_stdout and
bind_stderr expect a file_descriptor_source or file_descriptor_sink to get
a file descriptor or Windows handle which is then redirected and passed to
the child process. I could extend those initializers though so that you
could pass a file descriptor or Windows handle directly (without wrapping
it in a Boost.Iostreams type)?

> [...]ah, you are talking about that note, well the note says: "There is a
> Boost.Iostreams bug on Windows...", but all these issues are in Linux.
> I want to write a note in stackoverflow, can you confirm that the
> problem was a bug in Boost.Iostream in linux/posix also?

Hm, the bug in Boost.Iostreams was a Windows-only bug. I didn't experience
any problems with any of the library's unit tests on Linux.

Boris