Subject: Re: [boost] [result_of] Usage guidelines
From: Daniel Walker (daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-15 20:51:51

On Sep 11, 2012, at 2:22 AM, Andrey Semashev wrote:

> On Saturday 08 September 2012 22:34:30 you wrote:
>> Ok, here is my second take on this. I've attached a patch with my changes.
>>
>> 1. I moved the guidelines to a separate section in order not to clutter the
>> formal result_of description.
>> 2. I seperately outlined the C++11 and C++03 recommendations.
>> 3. I left the result_of examples. I think they illustrate the result_of
>> usage quite well, but I'll be happy if someone comes up with something
>> better. 4. I rephrased some of the wording about result<> usage, in
>> response to Jeffrey's reply.
>>
>> Comments are welcome.
>
> Any comments? Daniel?

Thanks Andrey. I like your idea of moving the guidelines to a different section and separating out C++03 details. Along those lines, I added two sections to the documentation: one for general usage guidelines and and one for TR1 specific guidelines. I also add a section describing known differences between decltype-based boost::restult_of and TR1 and another short section for differences between decltype-based boost::result_of and C++11. I also incorporated your example using the Boost.TypeTraits library to simplify a result specialization.

There were many good comments and suggestions in this and the other thread, and I tried to incorporate them all. The new documentation is on trunk as of revision [80535].

- Daniel