Subject: Re: [boost] Review Wizard Status Report for September 2012
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-29 10:26:36

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 07:43:32AM +1000, Vadim Stadnik wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Lars Viklund <zao_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

> > How does this library fare after the advent of Boost.Containers? From
> > the description, it sounds like it overlaps quite a bit, to the extent
> > that it can likely be merged with it.
> >

> The library uses new data structures with improved computational complexity
> of many algorithms against data structures used in C++ standard containers.
> This is why this library supersedes facilities of standard containers. I
> will add a section to the documentation with specific improvements.

Very good, but I didn't ask about the standard containers, I asked about
Boost.Container [1].
Do yours overlap with his? Is your library really distinct enough to be
a different library instead of merging with Ion's library?

It just feels quite strange to have two libraries that both claim to be
"better containers, lol".

> > Additionally, surely there's a better name than "STL extensions"? First
> > of all, some people (me) truly dislike the STL misnomer. Secondly, it
> > doesn't convey no information about what it actually extends/provides.
> >
> > The full library name is “STL extensions based on advanced data structures“. I have shortened the name to “STL extensions” for the Review Schedule
> only. It seems to me it is quite reasonable. For example, CGAL offers
> Multiset container with similar advanced functionality and uses name “STL
> Extensions for CGAL”. Suggestions are welcome.

It's kind of hard naming what essentially seems to be a container
library, considering that there already exists one. I still hold my
opinion that "STL extensions for blargh" makes a really horrible Boost
library name.

These questions will come up constantly during the review, so you might
as well get everything sorted out up-front.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]